Friday, February 6, 2009

Container

Hope everyone is doing well! Thank you for all your emails of encouragement and prayers!
Life onboard the Africa Mercy is wonderful! I have never been more happy and content in where God has me in life than now. I actually teared up in front of my OR team today sharing how excited that I am here to serve along with them in the next year. 
We have hospital devotions throughout the week and I was asked to share on Thursday with the group. I questioned what to speak about- I'm one of the new ones- what do I have to share with this group? I finally decided to share my story how God brought me to Mercy Ships. I shared how God has given me a mission field for the past ten years in ways I could never imagine.  Also, that He has used me variety of ways to be a witness. I shared one of favorite passages from The Message paraphrase... 

"In a well-furnished kitchen there are not only crystal goblets and silver platters, but waste cans and compost buckets- some containers used to serve fine meals, others to take out the garbage. Become the kind of container God can use to present any and every kind of gift to his guests for their blessing. " 2 Timothy 2:20 (MSG)

I need to be willing to be different containers for God. My first job in the Guatemala OR was to mop the floors and later years as the scrub nurse. I will have a variety of jobs (mostly in the OR) on the ship throughout the year. On the ship right now there are more than 300 different containers- some work in the galley, dinning hall, the starbucks and ship shop. Others work in the offices of HR and finances. There are full-time parents and teachers for the kids. Especially during the sail, the people in the engine room and the bridge are important containers for this mission. There are people in housekeeping and the the whole hospital team of nurses and doctors. Everyone works together to make it possible for us to serve God and the people of Benin. I also include each of you that are at home praying for us-part of the team- you are a blessing to me. Thank you and I pray that God may use in many ways to bless others.

No comments:

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.