Thursday, February 19, 2009

Jabulani Africa!

We finished our first screening day in Benin with close to 2000 patients seen and more to come tomorrow! I felt your prayers as I took several people's health history and vital signs for ten hours today. I had a wonderful translator, Florent, to help with french and several dialects. I picked up a few words here and there. I relied more on touch and basic greetings and "God Bless you" with every person that I met today. Please continue to pray for us as it is hard to see each person come to our tables with deformities you can only imagine. I could see Florent was emotionally drained seeing his own people this way. He said I had courage to do what I do, but I gave God the credit for giving me strength throughout the day. My first patient was a 3 month old girl with a facial deformity- the mother handed her right over to me. I looked into this precious face and prayed for God's mighty hand to heal or deliver her- like every patient I saw today. I was able to see by the end of the day- many were cleared for surgery and were in the group to have their pre-op pictures- Praise the Lord! Many were also sent home after prayer the ones we can not help on the ship. We saw patients that were suffering from hernias, head and neck tumors, past trauma injuries, and bone deformities- people from all over Africa came to find hope and healing. 
Tonight we sang a South Africa worship song with an added two-step action as we rejoice with Africa to God!
Jabulani Africa 
by Fini de Gersigny

Sing for joy 'O Africa
The Lord your God is risen upon you
Sing for joy 'O Africa
The Lord your God is risen upon you now

Jabulani, Jabulani Africa
Jaubulni, Jabulani Africa

Jesus, river of life to our thirsty land
Savior, meeting our needs with your mighty hand

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Im so proud of you allison! Praying for you and missing you a lot!

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.