Sunday, February 8, 2009

Typical Day

It is a typical day onboard the Africa Mercy- only my second Sunday, but it feels like home. Its four o'clock in the afternoon, I'm in the mid-ship lounge, the social center of the ship. There is a group of people (representing more than 4 countries) playing a new game. On the starboard (right-side), there are kids making a fort with furniture and toys. Others are on computers keeping in touch with family and friends.  I'm sitting on the couch, port-side, looking out at the blue waves wondering what is beyond what I can see. I think we are passing Ghana today. We expect to arrive in Benin tomorrow morning! 
The weekends are days of rest on the ship since we can't go far while we are sailing. I've slept in both days and worked out with a friend in the afternoon. Watching movies, reading, and playing games are typical activities. If you're ever bored, its easy to find a friend. If you want to be by yourself there are hiding places for that as well. This afternoon they served fruit smoothies on the sunny bow- now that's the part of the cruise I've been missing!  :) We have evening church together and I am looking forward to the sermon series going over Paul's ministry from Galatians- Colossians. I hope to join a Beth Moore Study, Daniel, starting up during the week when we are Benin. I love living in community- I'm a people person. I have missed it for the past couple years while living on my own and working evening shift. One of chaplains shared with us last week- make sure we don't replace our personal time with God with fellowship. So I need to make sure I keep my time with God and not get to busy while working and living onboard the Africa Mercy. I am here because of Him and nothing else. 

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Great post. I love to read what's going on in your world! Be sure to remember what it will be like to see Africa for the first time. Its your dream coming true and I wanna know how it felt!

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.