Monday, February 9, 2009

Pray for Africa

The anticipation is building among crew members this morning- we are so close to Benin! This is the first time in Africa for most of the crew, like myself. I can hardly believe I'm so close to Africa. The Lord has been faithful to expand my mission field "to the ends of the earth." I have a heart for the those (anywhere in the world) that are not only in need of physical healing, but healing comes that through Jesus Christ's love. 
In my gateway training, I had the privilege to meet Mercy Ship directors from all over the world. It is an international ministry that reaches from small town Garden Valley, Texas to all over Europe, to New Zealand and Australia, to South Korea and South Africa. I would like to share with you some valuable lessons and prayers the director from South Africa passed on to us as we prepare to serve in Africa. 

1. Pray for flexibility. Africans don't plan. We need to be flexible when our plans change to go with whatever is happening. We might plan one way and something totally opposite will happen, but we have to trust God is in control.

2. Pray for patience. Not only do I need patience working and living with hundreds of people from all over the world for the next year. We all need patience to see a difference in the people we serve. Change takes time in Africa. 

3. Pray for strength in the Lord. The poverty and injustice will be hard to see in Africa. Both emotionally and physically draining to see it everyday. Our screening days will be difficult to turn those away we can not help. Also, pray for strength as we fight against the enemy's attacks in Benin, the birthplace of voodoo.

I am grateful to all that read this journal entry and take a moment to pray for Africa- even if I have never met you. May the Lord bless you. 
For His Renown,
Allison

No comments:

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.