Friday, February 5, 2010

Bow

The place to be on sail is the bow. Being my third sail onboard the Africa Mercy, its my favorite place to be. Webster's fifth definition of a bow is "the forward part of the ship." It is so much more than this. The bow is the place to escape, suntan, relax, worship, and place of fellowship. You can find crew out there at all times of the day. I take my lunch and dinner in tupperware just so I can enjoy the open seas. Others take their coffee, ipod, Bible/book, or just a chair to relax. The bow fills with crew, young and old, after dinner, to watch the magnificent sunsets.We all watch the waters in hopes to catch a glimpse of marine wildlife. It is a great time to catch up with friends and make new ones, you might not meet otherwise because of different schedules while we are in country. We are halfway through the sail. We are close to our destination... just a few more days left out on the bow.

I look to my right and see the sun setting behind the clouds. I look left and see flying fish gliding on top of the waves. All around me is the Atlantic Ocean and in the distance is Africa. I cannot wait to be there, be on land, and meet the people of Togo we will serve this year.

2 comments:

sara said...

What a beautiful description, I can picture it in my mind!

How many people are on board the Mercy Ship?

Patti G said...

Wow, Allison. Your description left me wanting that. I have spent so little time by the ocean. Hardly any, actually. But when I see it, I'm usually left nearly breathless at how God shows off. What a gift to you. :)

Love, Patti

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.