Monday, December 14, 2009

'Tis the season... In Africa

As I walk through decorated mid-ships hearing carols and stop by Starbucks for a gingerbread latte, I feel Christmas is coming close. So many events going on each night here onboard the Africa Mercy and most of the crew come to join the fun- since we can't go anywhere else! It has been fun to watch the kids get excited about Christmas with storytelling night and craft night, where we made ornaments and wreaths. Being an international community, we also celebrated St. Lucia, a Scandinavian holiday, complete with singing and sweet rolls. It brought back childhood memories and stories from my swedish grandmother.

Another night, we had a "Winter Wonderland" in town square. Crew set up booths to sell homemade crafts and treats. I walked around with a cup of apple cider and browsed the sales and got a Christmas card picture with my ol' bunkmate, Estelle, and Ken Berry, Managing director.
I really have enjoyed experiencing a "Mercy Ships" Christmas during the sail. I still have OR duties to work on during the day and then time off in the evening. I head out to the green painted bow, sun beating down, hearing the waves crash, and stop for glance to see any marine life, Christmas is close, but I realize we're still sailing off the coast of Africa.

No comments:

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.