Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Evo, Amen.

How time flies here. It feels just like yesterday, but it was February, when the Africa Mercy was anchored outside the port of Cotonou. An engine had failed and we had to stay the night being tossed by the waves of the Atlantic one more day. We came into port "on our knees" praying and fighting forces that did not want us here to give hope & love to the people of Benin. We have done the same, praying this week for all the details to work out in order for us to sail. The gangway was pulled up, lines drawn, and the pilot & tugboats took us out to sea. Now, we are sailing again in the Atlantic blue waters.

I will miss Benin since it has been my home for the past 1o months. I am familiar with directions without street names, but I know to turn at the “blue lady”. I know how to cross the street… and dodge motorcycles, “zemis”, flying by as I walk to the local market. I have learned what to do on the weekend off ship and been north to see the countryside. I know how to greet people in the local language, Fon. I will miss the beautiful children’s smiles and running up too us, singing, “Yovo, Yovo.” “White person, White person.”

So the 2009 outreach is finished in Benin… the “big white whale” has left, but I do pray God is not finished here. On my last night walking on the dock, my friend and I sang “God of This City” and prayed for the people of Benin.

“Greater things are yet to come, greater things are still to be done in this city.”

Evo, Amen.

Fon Translation: It is finished. Amen.

No comments:

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.