Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Weekend to Remember

Sounds like a Nicholas Sparks novel... warning I might type a novel, but read on! So, following the last day off VVF surgery, we had a ship holiday on Friday. I was sad that most of my friends left on a trip to Ghana, but now I know why I was here. 
So one of my new adventurous friends from the OR, Missy, wanted to plan a trip up north to Possotome'. A group of nurses and one carpenter visited the fishing village for day.  We all piled in a small wooden boat and made our way into Lake Aheme' for a couple hours. Our ecologist guide showed us how Africans fish with nets- one of their main sources of income. He threw the net many times and caught fish and crabs that floated at the bottom of our boat- while I helped one guide bail out water! We all had a chance to throw a smaller net and then jump in a dig in the mud for the daily catch. None of us caught anything, but it was more about experiencing African culture with friends. Perfect trip, complete with a fresh coconut drink! 
Arriving back on the ship, my friend Jane invited me to hang out with her and the youth girls for a slumber party that night. So much fun and it reminded me how much I miss working with the youth at home! Played some silly games, watched movies, baked brownies, and stayed up until 4am! Got a couple hours of sleep before breakfast and clean-up duties in the youth room. Later in the day, all the Americans in Benin were invited to the U.S. Ambassador's house for a potluck complete with Michael Jackson music. It was a great time with food, friends, and fellowship! Independence day ended with a bowl of popcorn and M&Ms watching 24 with friends.
 Sunday, I woke up to the air con not working in my cabin. So what better, to go outside in Africa in the middle of the day? There is at least a ocean breeze! My friend Hannah and I went on a mission to find fan milk to cool us off, but found ourselves at the hospitality center. This is where our patients stay in needing physical therapy between surgeries or live too far away. There is one little boy, Daniel, who has a smile that could brighten anybody's day! In the beginning of the outreach, he came walking on his knees to the ship. Over the past couple months, I've seen him with casts on both of his legs enjoying life from a mattress on the floor. We play memory and color together when I visit the hospitality center. Today, he was outside sitting on a chair! He now has braces and a walker to help him to get around. I went into the sleeping quarters to greet my VVF ladies staying there and Daniel followed me in! He took my hands and we walked around the whole place- a huge smile on his face and tears in my eyes! Hannah and I arrived back on the ship, no fan milk, but a great afternoon off the ship. Dinner was served and then I enjoyed family church on the ship- complete with kids fighting over who wanted to be the apple tree (going over the fruit of the spirit)! Afterwards, I worked the snack bar and the line is always long because I talk with everyone! I caught up with friends that came back from Ghana and heard many stories, but after typing about my weekend- I am so glad I stayed here and thank God for these precious memories. 

No comments:

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.