Thursday, July 2, 2009

Healed

I apologize it has been so long since I posted anything on here... The past six weeks have been the most long and grueling days, but most amazing and rewarding on this outreach. The first week, I was taught everything (thank you Ashley!) I needed to know to teach countless OR nurses and surgeons that would come to work in OR 3 to assist in vesico-vaginal fistula surgery. We do about 2-3 cases a day and majority of the surgeries last at least a couple hours based on how traumatic the childbirth. While in these surgeries, I think about these young women in labor for days and my nine hour work day is in no comparison. The ladies eventually give birth to a stillborn baby, constantly leak urine, their husbands leave, villages shun them, and are left for dead.  I am so honored to be here on the ship that can provide them hope for a better tomorrow. After a couple weeks of recovery, we have a ceremony to celebrate their healing and a new dress is given to each lady. I not only see then the physical healing of the fistula, but the emotional & spiritual healing as they now have a smile on their face and are on their feet dancing.  I hear their songs of praise and testimonies of being healed. No matter their past, I know God loves each one and sees them as a beautiful daughter that is healed in more than one way.  

"O LORD my God, I called to you for help and you healed me." Psalm 30:2

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Amazing story, Praise be to God!

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.