Sunday, March 29, 2009

Strong Woman...

This was my third week in eye surgery working on cataracts, pterygium, and strabismus. I remember back at home how against I was learning eye surgery and wanted to be in my comfort zone of general and plastics. Well, I'm here for many reasons and I know one is to be challenged... to be taken out of my comfort of OR knowledge and skills and have to rely on God for help. I am learning so much everyday here! I have had the pleasure of working with Dr. Glenn, Dr. Wendy, and Dr. Carlos caring for about 30 patients everyday that come to the ship for eye surgery. Such a small deformity of the eye and short procedure can make such a huge difference in these patients' lives. 
On Friday, I was in General surgery with Dr. Jose doing pediatrics cases all day. My good friend Ginger circulated and I scrubbed passing instruments for 9 surgeries! I know its not about the numbers, but what a day! Children of all ages came in for hernias, cyst, and tumor removals. After a long day, Dr. Jose told me I was a "strong woman" for working with him all day and late on a Friday evening to finish. I was flattered by the compliment, but was reminded of the familiar verse-
"I can do all things through him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Paul writes this knowing he can be content in any situation because of God's strength in him. I have to remind myself of this daily. Whatever surgery or patient I might face, I know God will help me accomplish what He has called me to do here in Benin. 

1 comment:

Crystal said...

"What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ."
Phillipians 3:8
Heard this verse in church yesterday and thought of you. :o)

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.