Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Blood

Today, we had a young man with a bilateral maxilla tumor to be removed... just imagine the center of your face, your nose and upper lip protruding out about three inches. I was helping coordinate in the operating room so I was in and out all day of the six hour surgery.
Being a hospital ship, the crew is a walking blood bank as our patients may be in need of a little boost of blood cells before and after surgery. I was beckoned in the afternoon to donate for this young man in OR #4. I arrived in style (in scrubs) and allowed my friends, Maggie & Naomi, stick a hose in my arm to drain me of my oxygen carrying cells. It flowed into the bag as fast I could drink my coke and time to pray for the man about to receive my blood in order that he may live. Afterwards, I took a minute to check on him still in surgery as my blood was being administered and he is expected to make a full recovery. I was not the nurse assigned to the patient, but I am thankful I was able to be a part of this life changing surgery.

That my friends, is why I love being a nurse and a blood donor.


2 comments:

sara said...

that is such a cool story!!! I will be praying for this young man.

Jennifer said...

That's so awesome Allison!! I donate blood here in the US, but it must be awesome to know exactly who your blood is going to help and to know that you just helped change that person's life. Once again...you amaze me! :)

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.