Monday, November 2, 2009

Sounds a little like Velvetta? That is what I thought my friend said when she mentioned the name of my patient for today. We are done with VVF this outreach and now I'm back to my (second) love of Max-fax specialty. I just have to say, all surgery, is my love- if the patient’s life is transformed and hope is given for healing. So I called for Belvida from the ward and started setting up for the case. It was a "big" case in the OR with 6 trays of instruments for this little 10-year-old girl. As I was scrubbing my hands, my sweet friend, Melanie, carried Belvida in and laid her on the OR bed with a gentle kiss. I had a lot to set up and count for the case, but I could not stop praying for the little one as anesthesia struggled to put the breathing tube down. The problem is, Belvida cannot open her mouth. Her top and bottom teeth touch and do not move due to a condition called ankylosis. Her jaw is locked in place. In ordered to eat, she has to smash food into small pieces and stick it in the open space behind her back molars. I will never take being able to eat for granted. Fours hours passed with pulling teeth, drilling, hammering, and sewing… and Belvida’s mouth opened one inch. What huge difference one inch will make in this little girl’s life.


No comments:

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.