Monday, November 30, 2009

A day at the pool...

Saturday was another planned blackout for the ship to prepare for the sail. So no electricity, no air con, no working toilets, or internet means a mass exodus for the local hotel pools. I am one that finds something to do on the weekends, worth my time and sweat, something that I have never done in Africa. The pool was not my first choice, but I have checked off all the boxes to do here in Cotonou. So my friends and I took advantage of the first Mercy Ships shuttle service and went to the Marina hotel. In tote with my ipod, snacks, bathing suit, sunglasses, and a new book. The morning I spent under poolside listening to music and enjoy watching people and the beach view behind us. Already bored a little, I took up an offer go to the craft market to shop for Benin souvenirs. By the time we returned, the pool was a welcoming cool off and then the lounge chairs perfect for a nap. Then a couple of us nurses headed out for a walk to Obama Beach (that's right, named after our president). Our day volunteers/translators were suppose to be there for a party, but even after showing up a hour late, no luck. We tracked back to the pool for some swimming and crepes for a snack. Finally, I took out my library book, my friend recommended to me. Never thought I'd be crying poolside, but just reading the prologue tugged at my soul. It is called The Hospital by the River by Dr. Catherine Hamlin. Next year in Togo, I am going to be working closely with our VVF (vesico-vaginal fistula) patients and this book shares the story of one VVF hospital in Ethiopia. This year, these ladies captured my heart the first time I saw the transformation in their lives after surgery. Bare with me as I share a quote from the book, just to give you a glimpse about VVF.

"But there is no hiding her condition. Despite the difficulty of keeping herself clean, the sorrow of losing her baby and the shame of her condition, she tries to be brave, to greet her husband with a smile and prepare his meals. But it no use. She is ill, weak, and wretched. Soon he moves out. The long obstructed labor has left Enatanesh with terrible internal injuries. She stays like this, forlorn, and alone for months. Or years. Or a lifetime. She is fit only for work in the fields. The village women shun her. She is abandoned to her shame." pg. x

These women suffering, leaking urine, and left only to their shame is what keeps me going serving in Africa. God has given a passion to care for them. And not only surgical care, but care for them by showing them love, acceptance, and hope for healing. I would have never thought a day at the pool would change my heart forever.

1 comment:

sara said...

I am going to have to get that book.

I love your heart.

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.