Thursday, November 19, 2009

Last days in the OR...

Tomorrow is the last day of surgery, then another week of healing on the wards, and the week following we sail to the Canary Islands for a break before the Togo outreach in 201o.
I am still shocked when I answer the most common question of "How long have been here?" Benin has been my home and mission field the past 10 months! I have become one of the resource people in the operating room and even sterilizing manager the last week. Tonight, as I waited for the instruments from the last surgery, I walked the empty OR corridor and looked into the rooms that we are cleaning and packing up supplies for the sail. I remembered setting up the rooms in February, loving on babies, coffee breaks in the pharmacy, walking patients with my comforting hand on their shoulder, mustering for fire drills, and praying every morning with coworkers. I probably spent more time and walked more mileage in the operating room than anywhere else on the ship. What I will remember and cherish the most is seeing how God worked in this place, in each patient, and crew- including myself. There is not enough time or room to share now, but I look forward to doing some as it quiets down here and during the sail. Please pray for the last week as we finish and the last patients are healing. May we continue strong for the Lord until the very end of the outreach here in Benin.

Psalm 66:4-5

All the earth bows down to you;
they sing praise to you,
they sing praise to your name."
Selah

Come and see what God has done,
how awesome his works in man's behalf!

2 comments:

lindsay said...

Allison, thinking and praying for you, the rest of the crew, and the patients as you all get things finished up and prepare to sail! Looking forward to seeing you in January!

sara said...

It has been such a blessing to follow you on this journey. Praying for you and your patients as you close your time there.

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.