Saturday, October 3, 2009

Happy

Remember my blog about flower power in May? It was about a patient of mine, Basse, who remembered me weeks after her surgery just because of a flower hat I was wearing. Well, she came to the ship the week I was in Paris to have the second stage of her surgery done. She had a hole on the top of her mouth effecting how she breaths, eats, and speaks. I checked the records while working one day in OR 4 and realized she had her surgery on my birthday. I was so happy she returned and the doctor said the procedure was successful, but sad I missed my little friend.

Hospitality Center
So all week I was contemplating what to do on the weekend. There are pools and beaches at are disposal around Cotonou, but I love going to the hospitality center to visit patients. These kids bring joy to my heart and a smile to my face because they are happy even being wrapped in bandages and even sometimes in pain while recovering away from home. They are always excited to see what I brought in my backpack for them to play with- coloring books, crayons, bubbles, and play-dough. So my friends and I made our way through the streets of Cotonou with motorcyclists zooming around us, women with baskets of fruits on their heads going to the market, and children waving at us "Yovos" (meaning white person). As I walked into the hospitality center and my eyes adjusted from being in the bright African sun- I was suddenly surrounded by children giving hugs and the first smile I saw was very familiar. It was Basse in my arms! What a surprise and sweet reunion with Basse and her mother. They were so happy to see me and show me that Basse was healed on top of her mouth. After some play time with the children, we sat down with them in the new classroom at the center. I was able to participate in school with Basse and the other children as they learned the French alphabet, numbers, and even some English phrases. When I first met Basse in May, she was shy and non-verbal. Today she is a beautiful and outgoing girl, but more than anything I can tell Basse is happy.

Teacher, Ellen & student counting
Basse & me, both happy!

1 comment:

Marsha said...

I'm still following your blog and couldn't be more proud of you! You are making such a difference in the lives of the people there. Keep up the good work! :)

Marsha

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.