Sunday, September 20, 2009

Reunion

Good-byes are always hard to say. In the beginning, it was ok for me to say goodbye- almost every night someone left the ship. Then it started becoming difficult with Gateway family departing and close friends going home who I arrived with in January. I know God calls us at different times and places to be to serve. So you have to look forward to reunions whether here on earth or in heaven one day.
So yesterday I had my first Mercy Ship reunion in Paris! My friend, Liv, from Texas, finished her time on the ship as Ortho Coordinator and she had a layover in Paris. Our friends, Sarah, from Austria and Margreet, from Holland, took trains in to meet us. It was such a sweet time over lunch in cafe to catch up on life. My parents were able to meet my friends and hear their stories. We spent the afternoon walking around seeing Notre Dame and then took a boat ride on the Seine River. I took them to my favorite crepe stand to pick up dinner so we could sit below the Eiffel tower as it lit up the city of Paris. It was such a good time to share ship memories and as well as talk about "post-ship" life. We all have lived an unique life together these past months in Benin. As we said our goodbyes again in Paris, it made me think back to the dock in Cotonou. Tears are shed, hugs are given, and we wave farewell to each crew member and look forward to reunions with our friends we make onboard the Africa Mercy.

No comments:

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.