Sunday, September 6, 2009

Most High God

So Friday I had the privilege of helping in all the operating rooms as the OR coordinator for the day. I love being a part of it all and seeing what God is doing here in Benin. OR 1 &2 had plastic cases scheduled and OR 4 had one major max-fax surgery for the day. I was able to give coffee breaks to my coworkers and help with turnover between cases. McDonald's did teach me a valuable lesson on how properly mop a floor. In the afternoon, I volunteered to go pick up our next patient from the waiting bench. This is where we do our pre-op interview and pray with each patient before walking them back to the OR. I came to the bench and Ines, brave little girl, just 11 years ago, came up to me to shake my hand. I noticed it was not the normal movement for a handshake because of the burn contracture on her arm. I learned from her mother, she was only a couple years old, when she fell into the fire and her clothes caught fire. The scarring was from her ear to her hip on her left side. It was amazing to see the transformation the plastic surgeon and OR nurses were able to do for her arm in just one surgery. More will follow for Ines. I saw her today at church in the ward and her right arm was raised as we sang " Jehovah, You are the Most High God." I have to agree with her. 

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.