Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Spiritual "What"fare?

At Grace on Sunday, our worship pastor (shout out to Chris!) spoke about Spiritual Warfare and he made a good point: The topic is like a pendulum swing; its avoided or its overdone, but we need to meet in the middle. 
I spent my first three days of Mercy Ships training in class about Spiritual Warfare with expert teacher, Dean Sherman. Before Gateway started, I kept questioning why start with such a topic, but now I ask why did I wait to learn more about it. All over the scripture it mentions the struggle between the Kingdom and the world: this is spiritual warfare. The characteristics of the Kingdom (God) include love, serving, humility, justice, intergrity, Biblical truth and the world (Satan) is the opposite like selfishness, hatred, pride, rebellion, greed, and corruption. We need to seek to glorify God and be reconciled. The enemy's goal is to discredit God and divide people. Spiritual Warfare can be difficult for some, but I am encouraged to know I am equipped for battle and I know I am already on the winning side! Remember the Armor of God? 

Ephesians 6:10-17 (NLT)
"A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh and blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in the dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Therefore, put on every piece of God's armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God's righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on the salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the the Spirit, which is the word of God."

Dean Sherman taught us so much in three days over Spiritual Warfare and just skimmed the surface. He encouraged us to "win the battle first and foremost in the heavenlies before fighting flesh and blood." I know the enemy will be fighting against me as I prepare to go to the mission field and while I am there in my personal life, thoughts, health, relationships, and my relationship with Christ. I ask for prayer for strength and boldness to stand firm in God.  Also, pray for discernment as I experience spiritual warfare in the African culture. Paul closes (so do I) in Ephesians 6:18-20 asking for prayer:

"Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere. And pray for me, too. Ask God to give me the right words so I can boldly explain God's mysterious plan that the Good News is for Jews and Gentiles alike. I am in chains now, still preaching this message as God's ambassador. So pray that I will keep on speaking boldly for him, as I should."

1 comment:

Alicia Robbins said...

Well said, Allison! I'll be one of those praying for you.

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.