Saturday, November 1, 2008

Ends of the Earth

Wow, I know it has been awhile since I've updated my blog. I have come to realization I am better with a pen & paper than typing a journal. Words come to me when I write by hand, but I just spend time staring at the computer pondering what to say. I also found out today, more than my parents check my blog, so I'll try to keep everyone up-t0-date on life and such. :)

So the past month I have been at Mercy Ships training, known as Gateway. This is for any volunteers going for nine months or longer. Since I am going for at least a year, I signed up for this Gateway to prepare a little more for the mission field. What I didn't know how life-changing this month will be away from my normal life. I kept a hand-written journal for the month along with notes from lecture and homework assignments. Over the next couple weeks I hope to read over it and share with each of you what God did in me at Gateway. I have had a nice long break from doing homework for almost two years since nursing school and OR residency, but this homework was about what I love the most- God and missions. Our first assignment was a journal title page- easy. I thought about why I was there at Mercy Ships and I used one of my life verses to be my title:

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." Acts 1:8

I have always read this in amazement that this is Jesus' final words to his disciples before he was taken up to Heaven. This must have been important that he stated not only are they going to be witnesses in their hometowns, but to the "ends of the earth". I have always longed to serve at the "ends of the earth", but God has given me my "Jerusalem" growing up in Bedford and at Mid-Cities Bible Church." I see my "Judea" spreading out to Tyler & Grace Church where I have been for over four years. I see my mission trips to the ghettos of Mexico and Guatemala as serving in "Samaria". Now its hard to believe I'm going to the "ends of the earth" next year! Praise the Lord! I can't wait to see what God does in Benin, West Africa! :) 

6 comments:

Randy Vaughn said...

Allison,
My wife and I lived in Benin for almost 9 years as church-planting missionaries - we have a pretty amazing story involving the Mercy Ship! It holds a special place in our lives. We now live in Fort Worth. If you're ever in the area, maybe my wife (Kelly) and I could find a way to hook up. We also have some potential business to do in Tyler through our different jobs, but not sure when we'd be in Tyler - and not sure of your timeframe. If we can answer any questions, let us know. My wife's blog is:
http://rkvaughn.blogspot.com

Tyrone said...

Plenty of ship blog reading at http://mercyshipslinks.blogspot.com

Tell Alicia and Stefan I said hello...

Tyrone said...

Oh, and is that Grace Community Church?

We went to the one in the high school down the street from 'the loop' and a college....hmmm maybe old troop highway? Or close to that.

Angie Fadely said...

Allison,

Thanks for sharing -- I am so excited for you. let me know if there is anything I can help with, let me know!

Blessings,
Angie

Angie Fadely said...

Allison,

Thanks for sharing. I am so excited for you. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help before you go!

Blessings,
Angie

Crystal said...

Yay for an update!

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.