Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Jeremiah 29:11

I am a planner. I like to plan way in advance. Although I procrastinate a lot too. I like to know if I have something to do, but I will wait last minute to do it. Weird combo. I like to know what I will be doing and be in charge of my schedule/calendar- life in general. Well, I heard today- Try to plan your life and God laughs. Its true, He has a sense of humor. 

Today, I had the privilege to share at Nurses Christian Fellowship meeting at the University of Texas- Tyler. To my prove my point- I stayed up until 3 am working on the presentation even though I knew months ahead about it! It was was so neat to go back to one of my "beginnings." I reluctantly started nursing school at UT-Tyler in 2004, but God orchestrated all the details for a reason. In my first semester, I was sitting in the same classroom I was today, listening to a presentation about Guatemala medical missions. I really wanted to expand my missions to medical trips since I could never nail in straight on all my Mexico trips. So I was part of the first group of undergrad nursing students to serve with Refuge International in Guatemala. In Level 2, before the trip I was in the operating room for clinicals (ironically where I work now) and I did not like it all- I was put in the corner, told not to touch anything, and not talked too at all. First day at the Guatemala clinic I was put in the OR- God's sense of humor. I shared with the students today my journal entry after the first day- 

October 27, 2005-
"I can't believe its only the first day! My legs ache as well as my back and feet. But its all worth it! I worked 14 hours in the OR today as circulating nurse. How excited I am for this opportunity. Maybe OR will turn out to be the place I'll end up after graduation. OR would come so in handy for the future missions work. God just keeps opening doors for me!"

I read that in amazement that God knew exactly where He wanted me over 3 years ago so I can be ready to serve in the operation room with Mercy Ships. I also found out what good support hose does for nurses on their feet all day! :) I read Jeremiah 29:11 in awe of God's sovereignty in my life as He promised Babylon after 70 years of exile. I love it how it puts that God has it all planned out. May this encourage you my friends as we trust God with our futures. 

"I'll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for." Jeremiah 29:11, The Message

2 comments:

Crystal said...

haha, I remember moving you out there and how you couldn't wait to get back home! I can totally agree with God having a sense of humor. I mean, I swore I'd never go to A&M...and look what happened to me. ;o)

alexanders said...

allison,
i love what you've done to your blog! well said--i love how you share your heart in this post.
hannah

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.