Sunday, March 4, 2012

Impossible

Since I’ve been here at AWC, a team of us has been working toward something impossible in my mind and unfathomable in West Africa. We sat down at the drawing board to sketch out a plan to triple our numbers. I did the calculations in my head and was first one to say- this will not work. There are not enough beds on the wards, nurses to cover the shifts, and supplies to do sixty operations in two weeks. I try to keep a positive outlook on most things in life, but this has been a time to trust God down to the tinniest details of this Fistula camp. Daily, I have been reminded everything is possible with God as we overcome the hurdles.
Our hospital director, Jude, went to a meeting with the ministry of health and through a series of events- we received twenty hospital beds. Now, we already have about 12 beds in each ward- where are we going to put twenty more? So, the hospital classroom and eventually our team dining room will become makeshift wards. On Thursday evening, I helped set up the classroom after our amazing maintenance guys constructed all the beds. It took me a minute to remember how to fold hospital corners on the flat sheets, but after twenty- I was pro. One bar of soap, a toothrush, a lappa (African skirt), and a t-shirt was placed on each pillow. The mosquito nets were hung and by the time VVF ladies arrived from the screening trip- the camp was ready.
As nursing supervisor, I had to make out the duty roster for a normal week on the wards- and that took me all day. As I was working on placing nurses on day, evening, and night shift- it came to be, we wouldn’t have enough nurses to cover two more wards for the camp. I found myself next to Bernadette, the national ward supervisor, on Friday night making a roster for Fistula Camp. Finally, at eight o’clock we completed the impossible task- and had just enough nurses to cover five wards. Another setback until God provided just this week, six on-call nurses that have experience in VVF. The supplies will be stretched thin (pray for diapers-is my new motto) and staff will work extra hard, but at the end when these women celebrate their healing in the Gladi-gladi ceremony- I will be giving thanks that “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”  Matthew 19:26

2 comments:

Sher Sutherland said...

Very amazing, but I could say you had me at gladi-gladi. When I read those two words I burst into tears. I'm not a nurse, I'm probably worthless on the wards, but I just want to come and hold those ladies tight...and you also.

Tonisha said...

Hi, I just stumbled across your blog and I loved every single word. I have always wanted to be a missionary since I became a Christian. I first thought being a missionary doctor was what God wanted me to do, but I have been thinking about nursing a lot lately. Can you tell me what it's like to be a nurse missionary? My email is tnlashle@uncg.edu

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.