Monday, February 27, 2012

Bed

I'm not one to use idioms or be in bad moods, but lets just say this morning- I got out on the wrong side of the bed. This can't be too difficult since my bed is tucked into a corner and there is only way out of the mosquito net. I had weird dreams and the women screaming with labor pains below my apartment woke me up before my alarm at seven. With a restful weekend, I was sure I would be ready for Monday, however, even with a cup of instant coffee, I was ready to hide from people which is not like me. I walked into my office before devotions and realized- it was not my office because the national ward supervisor was back from screening. I was homeless first thing and then the rest of the morning- I felt jobless. Rightly so, I was only substitute for a time, but I learned to love being with the VVF ladies on the wards and supporting the nurses. I found myself in another logistics meeting feeling like I had no input and signing off on papers that I felt like wasn't my job, but did it with a smile. Later in the afternoon, I felt useful- collecting beds from a medical supplier and to work on how we are going to set up fistula camp. I had a productive afternoon- even being on the computer and running around getting questions answered. I spent some time with one of the patients, Isatu, now that I have become her private dietician making sure she gets adequate nutrition so she can heal. Finally, five o'clock came around and I was out the door, still trying to force a smile until I could let out my frustrations alone. I stepped out of my old/new office that I share with the surgeons, family planning, screening, and data entry... to find all the ladies sitting on the benches. They are there faithfully at five everyday waiting for dinner. I could smell the cassava leaves, not the most pleasant, but most of the patients not being used to three meals a day, were enjoying every bite. As I walked by, I saw smiles start to form, I felt a few pats on my backside, I hear "Allllie-sin" coming from Aminata who is trying to teach the other ladies my name. Others call me "sister" or "me pady." There are a few older women from the recent screening trip, that have been staring at me all day...  not sure if they have ever seen a white person before? Finally, a genuine smile forms on my face and is reciprocated with toothless grins on these women as I pass by. They are precious and I hope we get to help them in the coming weeks. There is a young girl on the ward with a chubby baby boy, named Moses and all I had was a few seconds to hold him this evening, but thats all it takes for me to be happy. I am asked to retrieve a few supplies for the nurses and when I return I see the ladies coming back in to lay down on their beds. I come to realize, most of them probably have not had a bed to sleep on ever since the fistula formed and they started leaking urine. I hear their stories, some lay on the ground or a makeshift bed of leaves or sticks so they don't ruin their bed sheets. I have a bed to sleep in every night. I have no reason to complain, to be in a bad mood, because I can get out of bed every morning with the right attitude knowing in my heart- I am waking up on the right side of the world to help these women in Sierra Leone. 

3 comments:

Sher Sutherland said...

I love and miss you...

Gentille said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gentille said...

You are such an amazing nurse, you deserve to help dear, because you have a heart from God,and I know it's a gift from heaven because it doesn't come to anyone!! May God keep you save and straighten your fain in Him!
xoxo..

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.