Friday, December 9, 2011

Two-weeks notice


The date was quickly approaching for the M/V Africa Mercy to leave Sierra Leone. I wanted time to stand still, but I found my two-weeks notice coming quickly. The 10-month outreach was finished for the crew. I made it back for fourteen days to pick up life where I left in September. I found joy in those last days in everything I did- even stripping, waxing, and mopping the floors in the operating room. I spent time entering hospital data on the computer- knowing that I had missed surgeries this year, broke my heart. However, hearing stories and seeing pictures of patients encouraged me that God still did amazing work here when He had me somewhere else. I reunited with dear friends and even met some new people- that knew my story because they had been praying for me while I was away. I am in awe of the body of Christ when it comes together to support those in need even across the world.


My ship family, I cherished even more those last days. My schedule was packed, but I loved every minute of it. Pool party with the youth, working Starbucks, baking in the crew galley, and honoring a tradition with friends- taking a day to walk the country we had lived in for the year. As the "at sea" drills began, anticipation of the sail mounted. Sharing stories over meals of pasts sails relieved my sadness on missing this one to Ghana. I gave away all my pirate gear (and a lot of magnets) to friends before I departed. There were parties, coffee dates, and movie nights full of laughter. My friends said they missed my laughter, but more than anything I missed laughing with them.

When you put your notice in that you're leaving the ship, everyone will know. It feels like a member of your family is leaving home. My name went on the departure list in front of the purser's office and I received a check-off list on my door. The inevitable question when you walk around on your last days- "Will you be back?". For now, I am moving on to another mission, a new adventure on land. I said my goodbyes over and over again. They did not seem real. I turned in my cabin key, signed off articles, and was given my passport. As my friends waved me off on the dock, I had complete peace I was following what God has next for me. I am not sure the final answer to that question, but in my heart I hope these were not my last two weeks I had onboard the M/V Africa Mercy.

No comments:

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.