Monday, June 14, 2010

The ladies

Well, what can I say about my blog absence? I apologize it has been so long (my parents do remind me). So the past three weeks, all my time and energy has been focused on one thing: "the ladies". As they are known on the ship traveled for 12 hours on a bus to see if they can find healing on the Africa Mercy. The final preparations paid off and screening was a huge success. We schedule all the women we could help. It was a long day, but incredible to see how it comes together when no one speaks the same language. I cherish my time whether doing physical exams or passing out cheese sandwiches without speaking a word, but knowing how grateful they were to be here. See these ladies come from the north where the dialects are unheard of in Lome’. Let me introduce you to some of them.

These ladies are from Mango and speak Tchokossi.

And these ladies are from Dapaong and speak Moba.

Well, you might not be able to tell, but these ladies have been through everything. Their smiles slowly surface after watching my friend Maggie and I try to explain diaper cream with using only sign language. These ladies are why I am here, not only to make sandwiches or be their nurse, but also to love them. Most of them have been out-casted by their own families and left for dead just because they smell. They can’t go to the market to buy food or sit next to someone without being shunned. They smell offensive to anyone, because it is the smell of urine. They leak from a hole between their bladder and birth canal caused by obstructed labor. We take time to sit down with each of the ladies and ask them their stories. They spend days in labor and have to search for a hospital to help them deliver their stillborn baby. Some have had nine children where some do not have a single living child. Husbands leave to find another wife and they are left to fend for themselves. These ladies hide in their villages and don’t know there are others like them suffering the same way. Some say they do not eat or drink or sleep, because no matter what they leak. This is a life no one should live… that is why I am here, for the ladies.

4 comments:

Patti G said...

Oh, I love those ladies. I love that you are part of seeing their smile return. If I had been in their country rather than my own, their story would be mine, if I had lived through my first labor. You can't imagine the tears this brought.

Crystal said...

So glad to see you posting again. What a blessing you are to these women. It breaks my heart to hear their stories of their past, but tears of joy and praise flow because of the hope for their future.

Jennifer said...

Yay! You're back! I was just thinking the other day to myself that I hadn't seen any posts from you in a while.

That is so sad about these ladies. It is crazy to think that something so common can ruin their entire lives. So sad. They are truly blessed to have people like you in their lives to help them through their problems and to show support and love. God bless you! :)

sara said...

so glad to see you back!

this story both breaks my heart and makes me smile. So happy that these women will receive the necessary care to receive healing...physically and spiritually!

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.