Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Tonsillectomy for Jesus

This week I have the pleasure of working with an ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat) surgeon. Today I was looking at the schedule and someone noted about the tonsillectomy we had today, simple and small case compared to the massive tumors and ailments we take care of here in Africa. I automatically responded "its a tonsillectomy for Jesus and that's big for us!" There is an opportunity for any person that comes to the ship- for their life to be changed not only on this earth, but eternally. I pray each patient may feel the presence of God here and know that we are here because Jesus loves us so much He was the sacrifice for our sins. We recently had a family leave to go back to their village without their child that passed away from multiple health problems. The whole crew worked, prayed, and fought so much for this little one, but we take comfort that his family left knowing more about God's love for them. So each patient, whatever surgery- ingrown toenail, cleft lip, massive tumor or tonsils, is for Jesus.

A medieval instrument we use for a tonsillectomy... only in Africa.

Speaking of tonsillectomy here is a "Blast from the past":  When I was nine, I had to have my tonsils taken out to make more room for my rather large tongue. That's what I remember the doctor saying as I sat there drinking a Sprite in his office and holding a toy from the treasure chest. I remember also my daddy gave me a special doll to take with me into the operating room. Her name was Jessica and I covered her red-string hair with an OR bonnet as we went into the OR. I was a little scared going to sleep and swung a couple punches before I was under anesthesia. A couple weeks of recovery with an ice cream and applesauce diet, I returned to school. The best part was taking my tonsils to Show & Tell. Even my senior year of high school, classmates still remembered me bringing my tonsils to school in 3rd and 4th grade. Sadly, between moving houses a few years a later- its uncertain if my tonsils were lost or might have been thrown out by someone not interested anymore in the little jar of tissue and formalin. Should of known I was going to be an OR nurse! :)

2 comments:

JH Flores said...

Good to hear some news from you. Keep up the good work

Andy said...

I like to think the tonsils got left in your old house & are waiting to be rediscovered by a future resident :)
Your blog is inspirational. Allison, keep up the good work!

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.