Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Crew are always coming and going here on the Africa Mercy… I’m one that is staying for awhile. I can’t believe seven months have passed and we only have 12 more weeks of surgery left for the Benin service. Then we have Togo to look forward to in 2010! I used to say I have been here a couple months when people ask, but now it seems like a lifetime. It seems also more and more like home. I’ll be settling soon in a 4-berth cabin with some other long-term crew and a little more leg room. I have more storage for clothes and life necessitates I have acquired from friends leaving the ship. I’ve even started my own collection of crafting supplies and look forward to picking up my old hobbies. I enjoy babysitting weekly and playing with kids when I see them around the ship. Soon, I also will fill up my schedule working with the youth too. I am a busy body and love having things to do to make it feel more like home. The OR keeps me on my feet everyday, learning new things on unique procedures you only see in Africa. I do have some downtime- to hang out with friends on the ship and catch up on correspondence with all of you at home… wherever that may be. I know when I'm home- I am the happiest when I'm serving God. So now I have “homes” in Bedford, Tyler, and now in Cotonou, Benin. Home sweet home.

No comments:

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.