Monday, May 18, 2009

Community

I would say, I'm a people person. I love being around people; I reenergize around friends. When we took the personality test at Gateway training, I was high on the list of "S"people-  golden retriever, a servant, but unfortunately a sucker. Not many people take advantage of it, except asking me to make pancakes at 5:30am. The perfect example: Picture yourself digging a garden and a person comes by to chat... do you ignore him? Do you stop what you're doing for a minute to tell them you're busy? Do hand them a shovel to help you? Do you throw the shovel down and go with them? I answered the latter. :)
So, I have had a cold for the past couple weeks now and this weekend came down with a stomach bug. I should be in bed right now. I slept all day Sunday and today after work- even through enchilada dinner, just so I could go the first Esther study by Beth Moore tonight. So after Bible study, I thought I would just do email checks and head to bed. However, I am that kind of person, that will stop a task to be around people. So I shared some pictures with a coworker and caught up with friends from Norway that are leaving the ship in just four days. Now, I'm sitting here in the dining room and its past 11pm. I love community on the ship- you can always find someone to talk with in midships or take a walk on the dock. I also have the best bunkmate ever, who will stay up late just to talk about life. I'm excited about the Esther study and learning about what God has in store for us women. God has blessed me with so many friends on the ship and a wonderful Gateway family. We recently had a brunch to say goodbye to Jen & Gordon that were leaving the ship- I thank God for these friends! We celebrated a birthday at a chinese restaurant friday night and some of us even had courage to sing on Saturday at the ship's karaoke- "We are family"!  So the only negative about community living-coming from a people person- is germs. Bad germs. So, I pray that I can still enjoy the people around me and regain my strength and health so I may give my fullest to the work of the Lord.
So this is my Gateway family that keep me sane, pray for me when I'm having a hard day, and make me laugh until I have tears. I thank God for each of them. As well as for you, my friends and family, across the ocean reading my stories.  Check out new pictures also to the right side below the clocks from the past couple months aboard the Africa Mercy! 

2 comments:

alexanders said...

Love you friend!! Praying you get better soon and stay well :) Your smile always brightens my day!

sara said...

praying that you get well SOON!!! I am so happy that you have found such a wonderful community and "family" so fast!!!

love and prayers from AR!

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.