Thursday, February 22, 2018

Restoration

Douala, Cameroon
It has been almost a month since I returned from Cameroon, but it feels like just yesterday I was on deck 8 watching the sunset. Most evenings, I tried my best to make it to the top deck for dinner and to get some fresh African air mixed with Harmattan sands. 






My bunk
After dinner, my friends and I would head downstairs to play a game in mid-ships or find a place for a movie night. I would eventually make it to my cabin and collapsed into my bottom bunk. I wouldn’t fall asleep just yet as my five cabin mates in 3414 would want to catch up over some chocolate (which I had a stock pile from my Texas coworkers). I would take a moment to open mail and check my prayer calendar. I am thankful for all of you who prayed for me while I was away- daily I was reminded how God answered your prayers. I slept soundly knowing I was (and my mission) was covered in prayer and most likely a busy day on my feet and the hum of the generator helped me sleep too!


Lovely ladies of 3414
I would wake up early enough to grab breakfast in the dining room and head to the cafĂ© where it is much quieter for a non-morning person like myself to prepare for the day. The chaplains onboard planned the month of January for us to go through the Lord’s Prayer together as a crew. While looking out to the ocean, one particular morning, I read the well-known Psalm 23 and prayed for the patients I would care for in the operating room that day. 




OR Crew on Funky Friday
I headed down to deck 3 where we started in the OR with a team brief and prayer. It was a day of hernias, but the last patient we had to bring back for an infection. That meant a terminal clean (the collection of groans of OR nurses can be heard from far and near). A terminal clean means every surface, piece of equipment, the floor, the ceiling, and the four walls that makes up the theatre has to be cleaned. We may groan, but we blast the worship music, dawn our gloves and eye protection, and clean with vengeance. As I was wiping one of the walls down, I notice a laminated card with a verse on it- “He restores my soul.” Psalm 23. Had I missed reading it this morning? I know from memory- The Lord is my shepherd, He prepares a table in front of my enemies… but He refreshes, renews, and restores. 


I started to pray for restoration- for Cameroon, for our patients, and for the crew. I had the privilege of assisting in cataract surgery, restoring sight to the blind. Caring for patients with hernias and tumors, their life was restored to health. Our cleft lip babies, patients with facial tumors, and large thyroids- their smiles have been restored.

God not only restored the patients when I was on the M/V Africa Mercy in Cameroon- He restored me. I went to serve and to love my patients so they may know the love of Jesus, but God showed me His love in return even more so. He restored my laughter, my joy in serving, a desire of missions, a community around me, and He restored my soul.

Thank you for being with me on this journey. 



 Love&Prayers, Allison


1 comment:

Diwakar said...

Hello Allison a Nurse Missionary. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you and know you and about your passions to be a Nurse missionary. It was encouraging to go through your blog post and your trip to Camaroon. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to work with us during your vacation time or even for a long time missions trip. We organise medical camps in the slums for the poorest of poor and you will love to be a part of such team where by you have opportunity to bring spiritual and physical healing to the people in the slums. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. Also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centred rest of the year 2019. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.