Friday, December 6, 2013

Proverbs 31:8-9

The month of November I spent time reading a chapter of Proverbs each day. It was pretty easy to keep track of- chapter 1 on the first of the month, second on the second, conveniently you read chapter 15 (my favorite) on the 15th day and so on. So on Sunday, December 1st, it was time for me to finish the book of wisdom by reading the well known chapter 31." I actually never made it to the end as I read 31:8-9:

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
    for the rights of all who are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly;
    defend the rights of the poor and needy."

I didn't remember this part of Chapter 31. How many times have I read Proverbs since Mr. William's 6th grade Sunday school class? How many times, are women directed to Proverbs 31 to read about noble character and we miss this? I just had to pause that night and read this over again as it became my prayer. My heart was broken for the destitute. How could I speak up for them when I am in one of the wealthiest country? I thought of our cleft lip babies that needed us to be their advocate in a country where they were seen as cursed. My fistula ladies came to my mind as they were judged because they suffered through traumatic childbirth. How I missed taking care of those that were in need of the basics- not only healthcare, but just to be loved. I missed Africa and Guatemala... and wrote that in my journal as I longed to be anywhere else, but here. I needed purpose and direction in this world. I was homesick for what I loved to do. So I went to bed that night with the prayer that God would show me how I can "speak up" for those in my path in the coming days. 
Early Monday morning I was at work at 5:30am for a long day of bariatric surgery. My heart was still heavy with my prayer from the night before as I tried my best to take care of my patients and yes, even the surgeons. On my lunch break, I saw a missed call from my friend, Susan, who I often to go with on Refuge International medical mission trips. She had also texted me "Can you go to Guatemala?" I was on the verge of tears of frustration, but they turned into tears of "faithfulness"- as God had answered my prayer. A couple phone calls later, a check of my planner, and with my agency's blessing to have the week off- I bought my plane ticket for Guatemala! Hopefully, I'll fly out tomorrow morning despite the ice covering DFW and below freezing temperatures. I can't wait to the sun of Guatemala! Thank you in advance for your prayers for the team as we serve those in the coastal region of Sarstun, Guatemala that are poor and needy. I just wonder, if we all made this Proverb our prayer, how we could change the world of the destitute? 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very thought provoking. It should be our daily prayer to help and speak up for the helpless. I thank God for you and the grace He has bestowed on you to be a carrier of His love and hope. I am blessed to know you. I can so identify with your heart's longing to bring hope, salvation and freedom to those who are in need. Heading to Kenyatta Hospital this afternoon to see the fistula patients as they come for review and screening. So blessed to be working in a foundation that cares for the needy. Love you, Al.

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.