Thursday, November 8, 2012

Reunions


Standing on that dock, waving the M/VAfrica Mercy goodbye with my ship family in tow was a weird feeling, but deep down inside I knew I would see them again. Fast forward ten months... and what a joyful reunion it was! Last week I had the privilege of being a guest on the ship (thank you Schwebel family) and reuniting with dear friends from years past. The decks would echo with shrieks of laughter, as I would see familiar faces, even to the point of people coming out of their offices to see what the commotion was all about. Oops. I would get double takes from people that were surprised to see me onboard. Invited by the youth for a private pizza and pool party. Every corner I turned, there was someone there to give me a hug and welcome me home to the ship. Even the Gurkas’ hugs were so tight that I was afraid they would break a rib!  That is what I needed the most: hugs. With those embraces came love and encouragement from the people that know me so well after experiencing Africa together.  They know the challenges of work- struggles to know how to help and the heartache when we cannot, they understand the need for flexibility and patience when we live on Africa’s timing.  I am so thankful for all the time I had to catch up with friends over coffee and meals up on deck. They would ask me “So how is Sierra Leone?” and they would listen intently. By the end, I got my response down to a few minutes summary about my ladies and how much joy they brought me each day. Thank you ship family for the wonderful reunion- hope to do it again real soon!

So on Thursday, I thought I would never make it back to Salone with police visits, border patrol, traffic, and military checkpoints. However, 13 hours later in a cramped taxi, I made it home to Aberdeen. My only motivation to get up Friday morning was our traditional Gladi gladi ceremony. As I joined my coworkers in singing, I spotted Isatu in the front and a huge smile formed on her face when we saw each other. She was beautiful with a new dress and head wrap on, complete with make-up and jewelry, but what stuck out to me- was her smile. She had been with us at AWC for almost 10 months, recuperating from severe malnourishment, anemia, depression, pressure ulcers, wound infections, foot paralysis and two fistulas. My first day at AWC, I met Isatu and saw the emptiness in her eyes- she had lost all hope. Eventually, with some tough (and tender) love and care- making her moringa tea, encouraging her with a Complan milkshake when she got up in the wheelchair, grueling exercises, coloring or crafting with her, learning Temene, holding her hand during spinals when tears came down, and more than anything hugs & smiles everyday- she made it to this day. So after a few more gladi songs and a Bible story, the ladies got up to walk around and shake everyone’s hand. What a sweet reunion (after being gone 6 days) and to give Isatu a hug and tell her how gladi I was she never gave up despite the challenges.  Most of the ladies are very somber, but Isatu never lost her smile that morning as we sang and danced around the ward for the last time.


1 comment:

Sher Sutherland said...

Your life is not without hardships. You sacrifice tremendously to be a cheerleader for Isatu and others. Yet I know you love what you do and joyfully receive the blessings that your ladies bestow when they get their dignity back. YOU, Allison, are a HUGE part of God's work. I hope that someone is encouraging you and hugging you and reminding you that you bigger part of the master plan than most will even dream of, and that you love well.

I, one of your biggest fans, love you.

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.