Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Productive day working...

A few posts back I shared about a productive day off onboard the ship... then my biggest fan and critic (my father) suggested I share about a working day. So I chose today to share with all of you faithful blog readers even though I am not so a faithful blog writer. I'm working on a serious blog entry that will be out later this week... I can just feel your anticipation on the other side of the screen. God is teaching me a lot and I just want to make sure I convey it well. So August 17th, 2011 went a little like this...

7:45am- I woke up late again. It could be either my alarm is going dead or last night I stayed up late because of all the excitement of the film festival. My bollywood movie won best musical! Anyhow, I run out the door in scrubs and with a handful of granola.

8:02- Time for morning report in the OR. Announcements are read, a verse is shared, a song is sang, and a prayer lifted for the day. We have to start late because the potential of a blackout.

9:40ish- Blackout occurs. Soon after, power is restored and the captain gives us a go ahead that it is safe to start surgery.

10:00 I check in little two year-old Alasan for cleft lip surgery. So nice to have a break from hernia land and work with Dr. Gary in max-fax. Marco scrubs and I circulate for the first case. I help with anesthesia, complete paperwork, help Marco and Dr. Gary with anything since they are sterile. We share riddles with each other as Dr. Gary closes. I need some new ones.

11:30 Alasan is waking up in recovery with a a new lip! We are short on nurses, so we all have to break for lunch. Its usually a cheese toasty (aka grilled cheese), but today there is couscous instead of rice. I dig in and enjoy the change of taste. Applesauce and walnuts for a snack.

12 noon We start on our second case. I scrubbed my hands as Marco brings in four year-old Nymah. Her upper lip is pretty big and there is gap right under her nose. Untrained midwives tried to save Nymah's life when she was born by trying to stitched together her lip. Most babies like her born with cleft lips, are left for dead because of traditional beliefs. Unfortunately, the suture broke and the lip split and was left with scar tissue. I assisted Dr. Gary in moving skin and muscle around Nymah's lips- its like a puzzle to put back together. Pretty amazing to witness transformation like that in just a few hours.

1500 Nymah's in recovery and we clean the room. Next we call D ward for Alimata. I greeted her at the pre-op bench and she was all smiles even though she had nothing to eat today. She speaks small small English and with my broken Krio- I check her in for surgery. Alimata is only 12 years old and translates everything for her father. We walk into the OR corridor and she is already holding on to the side of me, not wanting me to let her go- I hold her hand until she drifts off to sleep. She tells me she loves me and smiles. Dr. Gary and Dr. Bello remove a tumor behind her eye- we pray her vision remains unchanged with the delicate work done by the surgeons. Marco scrubs and I circulate running for different instruments or supplies.

1730 We finish surgery right at change over time. Alimata is waking up as I give hand over report to the on-call nurse. I hope to visit my little friend in the ward tomorrow. I head up for dinner and enjoy conversation with friends in the dining room.

1830 Youth leaders meeting and we get to planning a pretty awesome semester for the teenagers onboard.

1930 Need some girl time... grabbed a drink from the snackbar and visited some friends. Yes, we did girly things, painted finger nails, and watched the Office. Lots of laughter. :)

2300 Now I find myself here in front of my computer and hoping that I can post this blog. Facebook seems not to like me right now- I have tried a couple times to post my bollywood movie, but it won't allow me. I'll work on it another night because my book & pillow are calling my name.

Sweet dreams blog world. xo


2 comments:

Crystal said...

If you can't get it loaded there try Flickr and then you can share it on your blog and facebook!

THanks for sharing about your day!

Sher Sutherland said...

My hero! AND you're a movie celebrity. Can't wait to see your award-winning movie! AND, can't wait to see you again--November?

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.