Friday, July 1, 2011

Productive Day Off

The past month I felt like I was training for triathlon: eat, work, and sleep. So I apologize for the absence of blogs, but never fear I'm still here in Sierra Leone onboard the Africa Mercy! I have been able to get out to the beaches and spend a weekend staying with a friend in town for some rest. Yesterday, my lovely supervisors thought I could use a day off and I gladly accepted. I wrestled back and forth on Thursday night if I should turn off my alarm and sleep-in or set it and have a productive day off. I think I made the right decision, so my Friday went a little like this…

6:45 Alarm goes off… even though my ipod sound has gone kaput, I still wake up at this time. I might become a morning person and this is scaring me a little.

6:55 Pick up breakfast in the dining room… still not a talkative person in the morning, so avoid eye contact is key.

7:00 Bible study with Sandra in the cafĂ© area. I’m so thankful for Sandra- she keeps me accountable in my Bible study and in working out. Right now we are studying the fruit of the Spirit. The view from our table in the morning: containers.

7:45 Plastic Surgery Presentation- An opportunity to share with the crew amazing stories of our plastics patients- pictures on the last blog. Thank you everyone for your prayers for Osman. We had to amputate his leg, but he is healing and a happy little boy on the ward.

8:30 Organized my cabin & schedule for a productive day! Made my bed, Mother Green!

9:30 Coffee & waffles at Starbucks with my friend, Laura. We decided to each lead a Bible study in August. I’m excited about studying the life of Esther.

10:30 Time for errands: Ordering books for Bible study, dropping off comics and notes at cabins, signed up for laundry at 11.

11:25 Stopped by the library... decided to read Sense & Sensibility by Austen. Forgot about laundry, but got in the washer just in time.

11:30 Picked up lunch and visited the OR office to trade call for tonight so I could go out with the Jesus Film ministry

12 noon Change over laundry to dryer. Have to get to it before someone else does it for me… try sharing 10 machines with 400 people.

12:15 Eat lunch while working on Bible study sign up sheets.

1:00 Pick up laundry… deck 4 to deck 6 (4 trips in all today).

1:30 Time for correspondence: writing cards, which I love to do and wish I had more time! Organize/clean room and put laundry away. Everything held up by magnets on the wall.

3:30 Stopped by post office for stamps, ship shop to visit friends, but didn’t buy anything, and the bank. All these things are a few steps from each other, so it doesn’t take long to run errands except when you stop and chat with friends.

4:00 Time for nap… felt like I needed it after a busy day!

5:00 Woke up feeling nauseated… sadly, a common occurrence while living on the petri ship. Please pray for the crew as bugs like this go around. So, I decided it would be best to stay onboard instead of go out tonight. Hopefully, I can go out again with the Jesus Film.

5:30 Tried two pieces of toast for dinner… so good so far.

6:00 Gathered trash from the cabin and went to get some fresh air… beautiful sunset at the end of the dock.

8:00 Mosquitoes were coming out since it’s the rainy season so came back onboard. Spent the past couple hours working on internet correspondence and then trying to format my blog’s background… no luck, but at least I can post this entry.

10:00 Time for bed since I'm not feeling good... hope a good night's rest will do the body good and I can enjoy a day at the beach with friends.

Goodnight!

2 comments:

Estelle said...

Oh, Allison! I could just picture you doing everything on the list. Wish I was there to have a roomie chat. Love you loads. So glad you had the day off and the chance to catch up on life. xxx

Crystal said...

I'm co-leadng an Esther study by Beth Moore in August! Is that the study you're doing? Miss you lots friend!

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.