Sunday, April 10, 2011

Friday's Patients

My friend recently made the observation that it is hard for us long-termers to keep blogging the same thing over and over again. Have I seen any thing different to write about than years before? Is God here doing amazing miracles in our lives as well as our patients in Sierra Leone? Of course He is and it more than ever! So my days continue in the operating room and helping out in the maxio-facial specialty. Each patient has a story to tell... Friday’s patients I am here to share with you.

A young woman, Kadjia, so petite she could pass for a 12 year-old, but she is more likely in her twenties, came to the ship with a missionary from Guinea. Kadjia was suffering from ankylosis, locked jaw. She had difficulty opening her mouth to eat, drink, and even speak. In order to eat, she we would smash food behind her front teeth where a severe overbite allowed a little opening. More than likely, Kadjia had an ear infection when she was young and it was never treated so the infection moved to her the joints that move her jaw up and down. So last week, the day came for her surgery, I was asked to scrub and assist Dr. Peter & Dr. Luer for the day-long case. I set up trays of instruments that helped the surgeons remove a piece or rib to replace the bone in her jaw. The hours flew by as instruments were passed to and fro- and at the Kadjia’s jaw was freed and opened a few inches. Friday, she came back to the OR for dental work and stretching of her jaw under anesthesia. This time, I was the circulating nurse to check-in Kadjia at the pre-op bench. As I greeted her in the little French I know, I could see a little smile start to form and a whole new life ahead of her.

Our second patient of the day, was Margaret. She already has a feisty reputation on the ward from being here ten days. I was helping in the other OR when she had her first surgery to remove a large mass that had taken over her left eye. I knew it was a difficult case so my prayers continued for Margaret through out the day and she has made amazing recovery. This second visit to the OR, was for a washout and dressing change for her surgical wounds. Later on that day, Margaret was back to her bubbly self and dragging me down the hospital corridor wanting to go outside and play.

It was Friday and all of us were looking forward to the weekend after the busy week. Kadjia and Margaret had come and gone before lunch for their minor procedures. We were on stand-by waiting to see if we could do another surgery. We finally got the go ahead to call for our next patient, Emmanuel. As I helped my coworker, Julie, check in Emmanuel, I noticed that I had taken his vital signs and history down at screening. I love seeing the full-circle. He had come to our second screening in Freetown. The day went so smooth, the line was peaceful, and we were able to see hundreds of people to schedule for surgery and Emmanuel was one of them. He is about my age, but his life was interrupted by a tumor taking over his lower jaw. I saw him at ward church today with a bandage wrapped around his head several times and drains still attached. I could make out a smile on his swollen face despite the fact part of his jaw is gone. I greeted him with the typical Krio “How d’body?” and Emmanuel responded the “D’body fine. Praise God.”

These are just a few stories that God prompted me to write down. Each person has a story to tell. Every day God has something amazing planned for each of us and there is always something new to share.

4 comments:

sara said...

I love being able to hear these stories!!! And thank you for the reminder that every day God works in my life and I need to share it!!!

Lindsay K said...

hey friend! thanks for being the vessel of God's amazing stories - for your life and those around you. it's a blessing that your life is saturated with awe-some testimonies, but you shouldn't feel pressure to tell incredible stories every entry, and you know this because even here you said you shared what God put on your heart. praying for you and wishing i could join you (maybe after I get two letters added after my name!). i start my surgery rotation in july and hopefully God will open doors through that so I can become Dr. Leaky Lindsay! take care!

Sheila Street said...

Love hearing what God is doing for everyone. Bless you all. Sheila

Unknown said...

Hello sweet friend, I love reading your stories of these great surgeries you get to be a part of. I lift you and the staff you work with up in prayer often. I pray for God to conintue using you to Bless many. Thanks for sharing your heart. May God Bless the World through YOU. ~~ Your Sister in Christ, Elizabeth

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.