Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunrise

It is not typical for me to wake up early in the morning to watch the sunrise, however last Sunday I did just that. I woke up even before my alarm went off at 6 am with anticipation for our early morning arrival into Freetown, Sierra Leone. I found a quiet spot on deck 7 with a view of the moon still glowing and the sky turning from darkness into a light purple as the sun came up over the mountains. Crew members turned up as they were awaken from the bridge making overhead announcements. The heavy fog was slowly fading from the land as we sailed toward our berth for the next year. The sun rose and our excitement as well, knowing that God brought us to Sierra Leone to bring healing in this war-torn country.

It has been a week since the Africa Mercy has docked. A week filled with unpacking, bleaching, and making up 6 ORs and 4 wards into a hospital. The next days will be a massive screening in Freetown, where we will see thousands of people in need of healing. We will only be able to help a few hundred with surgery, but I pray we will give hope to more. It will be a long and hot day so please pray for the crew, as well as those waiting in lines to see a doctor. Pray that the right people come to see us, the ones with a purpose for surgery or healing that comes by faith and prayer. I must finish this blog because I am again waking up early to watch the sunrise as I head out for screening. I will end with one of my favorite songs... a prayer for Sierra Leone.


"You said, Ask and you will receive
Whatever you need
You said, Pray and I'll hear from heaven
And I'll heal your land

You said Your glory will fill the earth
Oh, Like water the seas
You said, Lift up your eyes
The harvest is here, the kingdom is near

You said, Ask and I'll give the nations to you
O Lord, that's the cry of my heart
Distant shores and the islands will see
Your light, as it rises on us"

~ You Said, Shane & Shane

1 comment:

Ine said...

That was a beautiful morning! Have a blessed time in Sierra Leone Allison, Ine

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.