Wednesday, October 13, 2010

September Summary

Sorry, for my blog absence... September was a busy month for me and now October is quickly passing by. I have daily reminders (my lovely parents) to update my blog followers what's new in the life of this missionary nurse. So without further delay, I'll try to sum up some of September for you.

1. Saying goodbye to Togo: The crew crowded the upper decks of the Africa Mercy to wave good-bye to Togo after calling it home for six months. My prayer for every country we leave, that our words and actions be a lasting impression on the people that they may come to know the Lord. I will miss the patients and translators that I met in Togo, but one day I pray we will be reunited.


2. Sailing: For seventeen days that is... port to starboard our chairs would slide until we put a towel underneath the wheels. As a nurse in a closed hospital, it was time for us to catch up on computer work which means statistics. I love the sail for many reasons! Sightings of marine life like dolphins & whales. Sunsets and stars are spectacular... I only saw one sunrise when I woke up early to make pancakes for the crew. And finally, sailors, aka the crew that hang out on the bow, play speed scrabble in midships, or sip coffee with you in the cafe- we become a close family sailing for this long.















3. South Africa: The ship docked in the port of Durban for repairs and to be refitted with new generators for the next couple months. It was time for me to take a break, but difficult for me to part ways with dear friends and the ship I call home. So the technical crew along with support staff will stay onboard to work on projects. The rest of the crew like families, the Academy, and more support staff were moved inland South Africa continuing life and outreach like dental and eye projects. I think of everyone in South Africa often, but look forward to reuniting with them in Sierre Leone in 2011!

4. Safari: To really experience South Africa, my friends and I, had a thrilling three days of sight-seeing at Hluhluwe-Imfolozi park. It was amazing to be in the middle of the wild seeing elephants, giraffes, water buffalo, zebras, and rhino. We were blessed to stay with friends in Durban and tour around the city before heading home.















So, this summary of September is not even finished, however I think I gave you enough "s" words in case you find yourself playing a game of scategories. To be continued very soon...

1 comment:

Patti G said...

The opportunities God has given you just bowl me over. When I prayed for him to give you the desires of your heart in missions, maybe I was praying too small. He sure answered big. Thanks for sharing.

:)

The views expressed here are solely mine and are not the opinion of AWC/Mercy Ships.